Drivable Grass® at the Michelle Obama Library
Overview: The new Michelle Obama Neighborhood Library is a state of the art 24,655 square-foot single story facility, and that includes areas for children, teens and adults, as well as three public community meeting spaces. The new library has expanded resources and programs to serve the community of north Long Beach, including assistive and adaptive technologies for people with disabilities.
Product Application: 4,600 SF of Drivable Grass® was used in the parking areas to capture and infiltrate rainwater to reduce the runoff leaving a site. Drivable Grass® helped eliminate post-development runoff, provide groundwater recharge, facilitate pollutant removal, and provide for a more aesthetically pleasing site. The effective imperviousness of the project was reduced while maximizing land use.
Product Features: Drivable Grass® enables storm water to infiltrate into the underlying permeable base and exfiltrate to the native subgrade. By employing this in permeable parking stalls, permeable swales and other rain garden strategies, Drivable Grass® eliminates the need for storm drains, plastic boxes and conventional detention basins.
- Low Impact Development(LID): provides opportunities for storm water containment, biofiltration, infiltration and storage.
- Best Management Practice (BMP): Long term effective solutions such as armored bio-swales and rain gardens.
- Low Runoff Coefficient (C): Helps to reduce storm drain and inlet size.
- Permeability: Reduces site runoff, promoting ground water recharge and onsite storage.
- Reduction in Heat Island Effect: Light color and aqua rock infill reflects solar radiation, helping to reduce regional heat gain
LEED Certification Level: Silver
Designer: LPA Inc. (www.lpainc.com)
Opening Date: September 10, 2016
Location: 5870 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, CA 90805